Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Run Your Race (Part 1)



We all are running a race in life. We who are believers are called to run it with purpose, trying to win.

"Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up." (Hebrews 12:1-3)

Picture this: At a track meet there are many people coming from all over to compete in a lot of events. All the athletes are there to run some sort of race. Maybe it is hurdles, sprint, long distances, relays, shot-put or a different one. All the athletes need different training; you wouldn’t have someone who has been training for the sprint run hurdles or long distance. Some even compete in more than one event, yet no one competes in all.  They all have the same goal in mind to win, and to win for their team.

Are we not just like that as believers? Here we are competing at the event of life. We all are running different races and have trained ourselves in different ways. Yet we all are running for the King of kings, the Lord of lords.

As I was thinking about this a few questions came to mind. What race are you Kelsie, called to run? What races have you been running that you are not called to? And how can you cheer on those in other races without taking the burden of running it with or for them?

These are races that I know I am to train for and run... some now and some in the future:
  • I have been called to glorify the Lord in all that I do and preach the gospel through actions and words.
  • I know that I am called to be at the Ranch this year. I don't know when he will call me out but this is where I am now.
  • I know that I am called to run the race of living in Powell Butte with the Brewers.
  • I know that I am called to encourage those around me, especially the staff and volunteers at the Ranch.
  • I know that I am called to read the Word every day.
  • I know that I am called to write my brother and encourage him in prison.
  • I know that I am called to pray for healing in my family, especially for my father and mother.
  • I know that I am called to pray for the salvation of my sister.
  • I know I am called to start training to be a wife and mother.
These are the things I need to focus on. I need to pray, to train, to read the Word, to fix my eyes on Jesus... so that I can run with endurance and speed. I am sure there are many more races to come... some I know about and others I don't. I want to be ready. I want to be trained up and ready for the challenges ahead, the adventures and blessings that the Lord has prepared for me.

What races are you called to run?

2 comments:

  1. Good words, Kelsie....and always appreciate your prayers. Remember, it is a "marathon race," not a sprint. Many start running, but forget to keep their eyes on the goal while running and start looking at their circumstances....and then stumble and fall out of the race. When Jesus was tempted by Satan in the wilderness, He was tempted to get His eye off the goal....to "give His life for us, so that we might have life through Him." God doesn't call us to "be comfortable," but to faithfulness. And when we do stumble (as we are humans), if we keep looking to Jesus, He will draw us back into the race.
    Love your words and you!!! And am very proud of the woman you are and have become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you my darling have alot of wisdom in that head of yours, I am excited to follow your race. Love to you, Marlece

    ReplyDelete